Thursday, August 21, 2014

Taking Care of Myself – A 100-Day Challenge

So it has been quiet around here again for a while *sound of crickets* Well, I am back now. :)

I have just recently realized that what I have been struggling with for the past year and with increasing difficulty is in fact depression. I have been experiencing major struggles in life as of the last few years related to professional growth, family life, health conditions, and some other quite essential things. In many ways I feel trapped. Last weekend I had a very long Skype chat and phone call with my sister in Germany and I finally opened up about a lot of my struggles I had previously kept to myself. I am trying to learn to talk to people without telling myself I am a burden. I am still working on this while trying to figure stuff out before making any decisions on how to change my life for the better.

One thing that is known to help with depression is regular exercise. So, other than the physical health benefits and getting me closer to my goal of becoming fit and healthy before I turn 30 years old, it also helps me with my depression. I have felt this effect before several times. I am going to be honest. Since being at my all time highest weight (again) earlier this year, I have lost 16.4 pounds so far (12.3% of my total weight loss goal of 133 pounds). This did not happen fast, but slow and steady. I attribute 95% of this weight loss to my healthy eating habits and I give 5% credit to exercise, maybe even less. See, I love the feeling after working out. I even enjoy working out most of the time. Somehow I don't do it consistently. I usually have a phase of about one or two weeks where I work out every day or almost every day and then I just stop. Why? No clue. Well, hold on, I might actually have a clue. In recent years, I (almost) always put others first, mostly my children and my husband. The same goes for other people as well, just not to the same extent. I have realized that I am not taking the time to take care of myself. I have made everyone else a priority and told my own needs and wants to wait in line. Then I let others' need and wants skip the line, pushing taking care of myself toward the back again ...and again. Having realized this and the fact that, to be able to care of others long term, one has to take care of oneself first, I am determined to work on taking care of myself. This starts with regular exercise.

My friend Amanda created a 100-day challenge in which participants exercise at least 10 minutes each day. I was hesitant at first and that showed me just how much I need this challenge. So I am in. For me personally, I am expanding this challenge. Not only will I exercise at least 10 minutes each day, I will also do one thing strictly for myself every single day. This can be anything. Reading a book, working in the yard, doing something creative, treating myself to some gelato, cuddling with my cats, writing in a journal, meditating, planning a vacation, working on my Spanish skills, reviving my French, learning something completely new. Anything. As long as it is for me and brings me joy.

I hope that, by doing this challenge, I can create healthy habits which will become natural by the end of the challenge. I am starting the challenge this Saturday, August 23rd and will finish on Sunday, November 30th. I chose a Saturday to begin the challenge so that I can start it off with a long walk or hike in the park and so that both my start day and finish day are on a weekend.
I will update here on a weekly basis with a summary of my workouts and feel-good activities. I will try to snap a picture for each one and include them in my post.

4 comments:

  1. So proud of you for doing this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad you inspired me. We both need this. <3

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Heidi. It's hard to get into a habit, but if you don't set your goals too high, I think this is a good way of keeping things up.
    By the way, I think that exercise has more to do with your weight loss than you actually realize. Healthy eating can only get you so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, San. You are spot on! I surely need the exercise to keep the weight coming off. When I wrote that I credit my weight loss so far this year to 95% diet and only 5% exercise, I meant to say that I barely worked out at all. I guess I could have worded that better. :) I know I probably would have lost more had I exercised more. I am trying to change that with this challenge. By the way, I am going to update on the challenge soon since I only posted about the, ahem, first three days.

      Delete